Sunday, July 19, 2015

rainy days

The rain we experienced throughout the day trip to San Gimignano continued throughout the week. Nevertheless, our professor decided that we would stick to the plan of visiting various locations outside of Siena. We visited some more quaint medieval towns, including Monteriggioni and San Donato. At the latter, we were lucky enough to go to a wine tasting and lunch. At Monteriggioni, I had just positioned myself in a beautiful location overlooking some vineyards, preparing to draw, when it really started to pour. I rushed to meet back up with the rest of the group, and we ducked into a cafe in the town's main plaza. We ordered some drinks there, and I had the opportunity to draw some portraits (finally!), which I prefer to drawing architecture and landscapes. Even though the rain made it impossible to draw the surrounding landscape, I still found it a memorable and enjoyable experience to sit and draw inside the cozy cafe.


This image, and others below, capture different sights from in and around Monteriggioni, which I managed to take before it started raining.







Here's one of the drawings I made from our time in the cafe; a graphite portrait of one of the other students in my group, with her coffee!


This image, as well as all the others below, are from San Donato, where we had our wine tasting/lunch. We were served various bruschettas with different cheeses, olive oil, and meats; all delicious (pictured below). The town itself was so quaint even in the gloomy weather.









No comments:

Post a Comment